Optimizing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services: Performance and Access Reports from the Execution Log
19. Double-click Custom_Todays_Reports.rdl to select and add it to the project. The report file appears in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Figure 25.
Figure 25: The Report Clone Appears (Circled) in the Solution Explorer
20. Double-click Custom_Todays_Reports.rdl in the Solution Explorer to open it in Layout view.
The report file opens, and appears on the Layout tab, as depicted in Figure 26.
Figure 26: The Report File Opens in Layout View
At this stage, we need to add the data fields Report Type and Path (the file system location for the report file) to the DataSet. To do so, we will modify the DataSet on the Data tab.
21. Click the Data tab.
22. Click the Graphical Query Designer button, as necessary, to shift to the graphic designer, which consists of a toolbar and four panes, as shown in Figure 27.
Figure 27: Graphical Query Designer (Compact View) – with “Shift Button” Circled
23. Right-click in the white space to the right of the tables, within the Diagram pane (the topmost pane).
24. Select Add Table … from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Figure 28.
Figure 28: Select Add Table
The Add Table dialog appears, defaulted to the Tables tab.
25. Select Report Types from the tables listed in the dialog, as shown in Figure 29.
Figure 29: Select the Report Types Table
26. Click Add.
27. Click Close, to dismiss the Add Table dialog. The Report Types table appears, along with the other tables, in the Diagram pane.
28. In the Report Types table, click the checkbox to the immediate left of Name, to select the field into the existing query.
29. In the Grid pane (the pane containing rows and columns, just below the Diagram pane), type the following into the Alias column of the grid for the Name row (likely the bottom row in the Grid pane), to replace the default entry “Expr1:” Type
29. In the Grid pane (the pane containing rows and columns, just below the Diagram pane), type the following into the Alias column of the grid for the Name row (likely the bottom row in the Grid pane), to replace the default entry “Expr1:”