Managing the Report Content Using Report Manager: Part I
Here is the snapshot of the features available when you click on the data source item.
Figure 2:Features available with Data Source Item.
Here is the snapshot of the features available at the folder level.
Figure 3:Features available with the Folder Level.
Since security can be applied at the various levels of the report items lets us look at a worked example of security implementation.
Sample Security Implementation using SSRS.
To implement the security using the SSRS let us create two users – ReportDeveloper and Reportbrowser. Both users be the standard users rather than Administrator users to test the security features of the SSRS.
1. Open the Internet explorer and type http://localhost/reports to open the report manager. Once the report manager has been opened then click site settings on the home page.
2. Click on the security tab on the left pane and then Click on New Role Assignment
3. Enter the system Username as ReportDeveloper and assign the user the role of the System Administrator.
4. Click Ok to add the role.
5. Similarly create a new role for user Reportbrowser as System User
6. Click ok to add the role.
7. This how the screen looks like once the roles have been added.
8. Click on the folder settings on the report manager home screen.
9. Click on the New Role Assignment
10. Assign the Content manager role to ReportDeveloper, and the Browser role to the ReportBrowser user.
11. Click Ok to add new role.
12. This how the screen looks like once the roles have been added.
13. Now login as the Reportbrowser user and try to delete a report.
14. The system will ask for the confirmation of the deletion of the report. Click Ok.
15. The system will then throw a following error sighting the permission issues.
16. Now login as the ReportDeveloper user and try and delete the report the system will delete the report after the delete confirmation is clicked ok as the ReportDeveloper has the appropriate rights and is the system administrator.
This is how we can set the permissions for the users accessing the reports and restrict the use of the reports to the limited and controlled access. In the next article we will see look at how to set report execution properties.
Pages: 1 2