SQL Server Performance

2 Live Databases

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Antonio Benildus Muerling, Apr 19, 2012.

1. I've got a question in 2 scenarios

scenario 1
    can there be 2 live databases pointed to one front end application, at 2 different locations (databases), maybe one within the LAN, and the other at a greater locaiton with the courtesy of the VPN
    assumption - network domain is the same

scenario 2
    can there be 2 live databases pointed to one front end application, at 2 different locations (databases), maybe one within the LAN, and the other at a greater locaiton with the courtesy of the VPN
    assumption - network domain different

Thanks,

AB.
  2. Daxesh New Member

Yes you can have an application that points to 2 different database.

If application and 2 DBs are in same domain, you can use windows authentication to connect the database (2 seperate connection string).
    if application has to connect a DB server in different domain, you have to use SQL login.

For distributed trnsactions, you have to use MSDTC (Component Services)

You can also create a linked server on DB1 that points to DB2 server with appropriate MSDTC permission settings on both the DB servers and your application can perform transactions on both the DB server using one connection string

I hope this helps

Daxesh
  3. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

For both cases , you can do that but for the 2nd one , you have to take with consider using either

· Full DNS name like Servername.Domain_Name.com

· Or use direct IP address with specifying TCP port used for SQL service particularly more if rather than default like 10.0.0.1,1432 if TCP port 1432 is assigned for SQL Service

· Or Much better to configure a simple Alias inside APP server to mark for the Full DNS name with TCP port used by SQL Service and this could be done through cliconfg.exe >>Alias>>Add >>TCP/IP …

let me know if any further help needed