SQL Server Performance

32-bit SQL Server on 64-bit OS

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by satya.sqldba, Nov 6, 2007.

1. satya.sqldba New Member

I know that 32-bit SQL Server can be installed on 64-bit OS, but wanted to find out some good resources/articles to know more about that.
    Any additional care that has to be taken while doing the install? like changing the default install location? I tried searching the MS website but couldn't find what I exactly wanted.
    Thanks
    Satya

2. satya.sqldba New Member

Hmm the install failed.
    What I have is a 64 bit OS with one 64 bit SQL Server enterprise edition already installed, now I am trying to get a 32-bit SQL server Standard edition installed on the same box as a named instance called 'Test' and it failed.
    The message from the log says:
    ---- Context -----------------------------------------------

Do_sqlScript
    SqlScriptHlpr
    Start service MSSQL$TEST

Error Code: 17058
    MSI (s) (40!14) [14:59:45:393]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -- Error 29503. The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."
    The error is (17058) .

Error 29503. The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."
    The error is (17058) .
    <Func Name='GetCAContext'>
    <EndFunc Name='GetCAContext' Return='T' GetLastError='0'>
    Doing Action: Do_sqlScript
    PerfTime Start: Do_sqlScript : Tue Nov 06 14:59:45 2007
    Service MSSQL$TEST with parameters '-m SqlSetup -Q -qSQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS -T4022 -T3659 -T3610 -T4010' is being started at Tue Nov 06 14:59:45 2007
    Service failed unexpectedly (17058)
    Error Code: 0x800742a2 (17058)
    Windows Error Text: Source File Name: sqlsetuplibservice.cpp
    Compiler Timestamp: Fri Sep 16 13:20:12 2005
    Function Name: sqls::Service::Start
    Source Line Number: 301

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Satya
  3. satya.sqldba New Member

Never mind,Got it installed at last...there were 2 changes from what I have done when it failed:
    1. The first time I gave the instance name as 'Test' and the second time I gave it a name 'SQL1', I hope 'Test' is not one of of those reserved keywords which caused the install to have failed, if it was this reason it would have been really silly one.
    2. During the install we have an option of starting the services at the end of the install. The first time I checked that option and the log more or less said something like the services failed to start. So the second time I unchecked it and started the services after the setup finished successfully.
    I do not know which one of the above might be the cause, but at the end of the day the instance is up and running.
  4. satya Moderator

Good insight from you, I will keep this post as sticky for newbie users.
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

Don't forget to apply Fix 2040 if you have more than 2Gb RAM.
  6. satya.sqldba New Member

I haven't heard about that Luis, what is the fix about?
  7. Luis Martin Moderator

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7C407047-3F1F-48B8-9E4C-DC32875E1961&displaylang=en