SQL Server Performance

3rd party tool to govern resource by user?

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by telaan, Mar 26, 2004.

1. telaan New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a tool that will govern sql server resources at a more granular level than all queries? Say, by user or connection or anything else? I have a couple of over zealous users that tend not to use the test server for what it is intended when creating reports. Unfortunately, I can't just cut them off totally.

btw - Sql Server 2000 Enterprise on Advanced Server.

I know I can write an sp to poll sysprocesses but I'm not sure that will do exactly what I want.

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Telaan
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

I am not aware of any, and I think most DBAs face the issue you do. At our company, the DBAs are known as "Dr. No" because we don't give anyone permissions, unless they have a real good reason and they don't abuse their privliges. I guess you are faced with a political solution, which of course, is never easy.

The problem is you never can know for sure what connection they use to access the server, thus there are no "by connection" restriction options.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. telaan New Member

Thanks for your reply. That's what I thought, but it's good to get a confirmation.

Any hope of Yukon including this kind of feature?
  4. satya Moderator

Not sure its under Beta2 testing, you can submit your wish to MS SUpport with full explanation.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.