SQL Server Performance

A Conditional Component when true/Y & then execute a Task

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Integration Services' started by Ismailc, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Ismailc New Member

Hi, I am looking for A Conditional Component when true/Y & then execute a Task eg. IF = Y then execute task else not I'm not to sure. Something like a A Record in a query DTS Task DTS Parameter Regards
  2. martins New Member

Hi,
    You would have to supply a bit more info for me to give you an accurate answer. The question is what task you want to perform based on the condition?
    If you are processing a batch of data in a Transform Data Task (and if the condition is a field from your source), then you can achieve this with an activeX script.
    Where do you plan to get the data from to validate your condition, and what kind of task do you want to run based on the outcome of the condition?
  3. Ismailc New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    We execute a list tasks (being DTS packages, SSIS, copying of ascii files to network) etc. one after another
    The problem is that it's unstable were the task will execute based on a previous task that might have encounted errors so we only really notice once a user complains or on arrival in the mornings then it's to late.
    The idea that we want to incorporate is like a checklist were it execute a job goes back to the checklist(?) sets it's flag or ? and then on true/flag execute the next task.
    Regards
  4. martins New Member

Can you not achieve the above by only executing the following task on success of the previous one?
    If you are looking for more control, how about having a "on failure" control flow (I think that is what it is called in SSIS) and then executing a task like sending a mail or logging it in a file. You can also use global variables to achieve what you are talking about.
    I hope this is putting you on the right track...it's a bit difficult to see exactly what it is you are trying to do without having the package in front of me [:)]
  5. dineshasanka Moderator

Can't you use conditional split component
  6. Ismailc New Member

conditional split component?
    Something like a electronic checklist:
    1. Task Sales : (with a tick, indicating successfull)
    Now that task is green tick execute Task2
    2. Task2
    Some other software or so that can relate with SSIS or DTS then return to a value or so then indicate on the software checklist that is done the continue to next task.
    The reason being is that we can open the electronic checklist & to also view the checklist & indicate everything was successfull if not indicate the red ticks(unsuccessfull).
    Regards
  7. satya Moderator

Not seen such a list, you have to develop on your own based upon the log for that package.
  8. Ismailc New Member

Thanks, I am looking to develop my own application. just thought there was a tool that does this.
    Any ideas of a tool that works well with executing SSIS packages & other external programs and then can be updated to indicate.
    Regards.
  9. satya Moderator

Theoritically you can work with c# or WMI in thsi case, so better to go through the Technet or resources on the web in thsi case.