SQL Server Performance

A Little Knowledge

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 15, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

There is a common saying that I am sure a lot of you have used to describe someone that thinks he has more knowledge then he does. The saying is 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. In the IT sector this is often used to describe a person that might know how to used Excel but decides that this means that he knows everything that there is to know about computers. You will often hear this person giving advice on everything from how to use Internet Explorer to how to change a motherboard. It is not until he actually changes a motherboard and he short-circuits it that he realises he is out of his depth.
    This afternoon I was hacking some ASP.Net code together for a simple webpage and learnt very quickly that although I am component with SQL Server it does not mean that my skills extend beyond this into C#. I think the key for anyone is not what he knows but understating what it is he doesn't know. As once you have identified what you don't know you can then focus on the gap between what you know and what you don't.
    - Peter Ward
  2. unclebiguns New Member

I agree that you need to understand what you know and try to stay within your limits and get help when outside your limits. There is nothing more frustrating than dealing with someone who is an "expert" in everything.I was actually very frustrated by a technical recruiter one time because he kept pushing .NET opportunities at me because I did well on their .NET test, even though I had emphasized to him that, while I could do some .NET, my expertise and comfort was with SQL Server. I figured why make both of us look bad by taking a job I wasn't confident I could do well and efficiently.