SQL Server Performance

A tool is required for checking backup.....

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by khandelwal.deep, Jan 8, 2008.

1. khandelwal.deep New Member

hi all..myself deep SQL Server DBA(Trainee)
    first what is my problem : we have database of more then 225 GB i take three log backups daily and size of backups from last two week is large in comparison to previous backups. i want to check what tables are updated very bulkly means i want to find those tables in which data updated/created mostly. so that i could help optimize the application we are using.
    Is there any kind of tool to check log backup or is there any tool to check updates on database..............?
    thanks in advance.

2. satya Moderator

Do you need a tool to check consistency of backup or identify the slow running queries?
    In any case when you have restored the backup to the standby server that means the backup for that file is consistent and working properly.
    Then coming to optimize the queries to identify refer to the other posts in the forums and Performance Articles on thsi website that will give you complete information on following the procedures.
  3. khandelwal.deep New Member

No my backup is ok i m able to restore it on standby server. Actually i want to check exactly in which tables the data is mostly modified between last log backup and the just current i've taken.
    Thanks In Advance
    Deep

4. L0st_Pr0phet Member

You can get third party applications that interrogate the log. One is called Log PI but I know there are a few more out there.
  5. satya Moderator

Then as suggested you can depend upon third party tool, may be quest & red-gate has got some too.
  6. khandelwal.deep New Member

I have tried Apex SQL Log but its too heavy to read logs, it takes 1-2 hrs to read 1 hour logs from a log backup file and i am unable to download Log pi. Is there any tool that could help me reading log backup files so that i could find out those tables in which data is updated/created mostly.
  7. satya Moderator

Have you contacted ApexsQL support in this case, for such slow issues?
    Are you ready to pay to buy another third party tool/
  8. dineshasanka Moderator

9. satya Moderator

I have no doubt in saying that the originator may not have checked the relevant replies on this post, until they are clarified we all are having shots in dar [:)].
  10. khandelwal.deep New Member

Sorry for not replying actually i was searching for a real solution to my problem tried some tools but not satisfied now trying SQL Profiler.
    Thanks to u all for your support.

11. satya Moderator

Have you taken this to vendor support for the third party tools that are used?
  12. rohit2900 Member

We are taking the backups directly to network device...now apart from the verify backup option is their any other option in sql server through which I can check the consistency of my backup file....I heard about a option
    Restore Database Database_name with check only or something like this....
    or the only option left with me is to restore each and every backup file on standby server?
    One more question....if one of my transaction log backup file is accidentally deleted then what should I do in order to be safe as I won't be able to restore the further transaction logs if one is missing....Correct if I'm wrong, what I did was I immediately took a differential backup..
    Rohit
  13. MichaelB Member

14. rohit2900 Member

Hi Michal...Thx for your prompt response...But what I'm trying to know is their any inbuilt commands or any feature of sql server through we can know this....?
    Rohit
  15. satya Moderator

Rohit
    In my experience there is no such tool that can give you verification of backup as 'clean', unless you restore the same copy on another server which can used as a standby server. In case if you are going through the Point In Time (PIT) recovery then having trouble with 1 backup log file will cause major damage to the availability, in thsi case I suggest to proceed the task of restoring the backup copy on standby server that will ensure overall consistency of backup file.
  16. avipenina New Member

why not start to monitor now on tables that are updated or deleted with SQL Profiler or to use the DDL Triggers to capture you all the update query into a table