SQL Server Performance

About Mdf Structure

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by Hamid, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Hamid New Member

Hi.I wanna to write a program for retrieving data from mdf files such as sqlrecovery.
    Because sometimes a recieve a mdf file which a cannot attach to Sql server.i Use the sqlrecovery program to retrieve data from mdf files but
    this program is trial and data i received from this program not real.Table name not real.
    i Need to understand the mdf structure file and ldf.
    Thanks
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

[quote user="Hamid"]
    Hi.I wanna to write a program for retrieving data from mdf files such as sqlrecovery.
    Because sometimes a recieve a mdf file which a cannot attach to Sql server.i Use the sqlrecovery program to retrieve data from mdf files but
    this program is trial and data i received from this program not real.Table name not real.
    i Need to understand the mdf structure file and ldf.
    Thanks
    [/quote]
    I don't know the program you refer to. However the structure of database files is pretty well explained in "Inside SQL Server 2005: The Storage Engine" by Kalen Delaney. But honestly, I would rather spend the money for such a tool, before reinventing the wheel.
    As for ldf files: As far as I know, Microsoft licenses the knowledge about the structure of these files to vendors of such tools. Either you buy such a license or you'll be on your own. This is proprietary knowledge of Microsoft.
  3. Hamid New Member

Hi.Thanks.but i wanna write this application myself.Because one of the work of my company is Data Recovery.Sometimes We recover mdf or ldf Data files which cannt attach to DB.I Need To this program.
    But i dont know Where the start point.?
    please Help me.
    thanks
  4. FrankKalis Moderator

Okay, I see...
    In that case I would suggest buying the "Inside SQL Server 2005: The Storage Engine" book I mentioned. Additionally you might want to get familiar with the DBCC PAGE and DBCC LOG commands. Although undocumented (still true, I think), you can find the syntax and example by searching the web. It might give you an idea about the structure of database files. Good luck [:)]
  5. ajit41806 New Member

Can you let me know which API or code ou are using. May be i can help in that
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

[quote user="ajit41806"]
    Can you let me know which API or code ou are using. May be i can help in that
    [/quote]
    Welcome to the forums.!
    This thread is old (2007).
    Thanks anyway.