SQL Server Performance

Active Active cluster - All instances on the same port!

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by L0st_Pr0phet, Apr 18, 2011.

1. L0st_Pr0phet Member

Hi,
    I have recently started a contract position where they have a Active Active cluster with all the instances listening on 1433. Is this recommended??? I personally didnt think this could be done.
    Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

3. Jahanzaib Member

For Security reason you will not use the default port and use 1 port for 1 instance,you can change with the help of SQL Server Configuration Tools
  4. Phil Brammer New Member

Ports are allocated per IP address. In a cluster (Active/Active has nothing to do with it), a SQL virtual machine (a cluster resource) has its own IP address. Since it has its own IP address (not the same as the cluster node IP address or the cluster IP address), it can listen on port 1433 no problem.

Having the instances listen on port 1433 is not a big concern to me. It is still far too easy to find out what port SQL is listening on, even without the SQL Browser service running.
  5. satya Moderator

True, but still as a best practice it is always better to change the default settings to some other value.