SQL Server Performance

Active/active or acive/passive

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by Martin-isr, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Martin-isr New Member

Hi there,
    im new in the world of SQL server so forgive my stupidness.
    Let me explain what they want:
    they want an installation of SQL server 2005 on a SQL server cluster with 2 nodes. This is for the preperation of some database applications such as Citrix, Softricity, Altiris and Powerfuse)
    They want an active/passive mode where the database and logfiles will be on a shared disk on a SAN.
    The SQL cluster will be build on Windows 2003. They say they want to install SQL server on the first node and that the second node will take over the installation (from what ive read this is wrong and u need to install it on the SCSI disk which has a share to the 2 nodes, is that right?)
    Since there is only 1 instance it needs to be set at active/passive since active/active needs 2 instances atleast.
    Data storage:
    SQL cluster needs storage for the Quorum disk, data disk and a logging disk. These will use a shared disk which will be used by the 2 nodes simulteanously. Because if its like this all changes in the masternode will be included so when a failover happens the slave node can acces all databases.
    Theoretically this shared disk are 2 seperate disks which will be on location and are locally connected to the nodes.
    The two disks will be kept synchronised because of the SAN that is connected with both locations.
    Is this about right what they want? Or is it not possible?
    Thanks for your answers in advance.
  2. techbabu303 New Member

hi,
    In Active/passive mode , both nodes have access to SAN but not simultaneouly only if the master goes down can slave acess the SAN.
    At any point of time onle ony instance is active in ACTIVE/PASSIVE mode.
    During the SQL server installation it will one Master node it would give option to install as cluster and would ask for second node so need to install seprately on second node.
    Please go microsoft website which step step guide on this.
    Regards
    Sat
  3. Martin-isr New Member

Thanks for the answer. I understand the concept of active/passive and understand the fact that only one node is operational any given time.
    i dont understand the installation part. During installation on lets say the master node i have to check the option that it will be installed on a clusterserver. Do i still need to install it on the slave node also? Or does it goes automatically? And if i have to install it seperately how do u say which is the master node and which is the slave node?
    I tried to find a topic on it on the Microsoft site but failed to find it. Do you happen to have a link?
    Thanks again!
  4. techbabu303 New Member