SQL Server Performance

Active/Passive x MSDTC

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by JiriB, Aug 21, 2007.

1. JiriB New Member

Hi All,
    I have a question, we have 2 node cluster Win2003 R2 Enterprise with SP2 , SQL Server virtual is installed on cluster.
    It is SQL2005 Enterprise x64 with SP2, MSDTC is configured as cluster resource in cluster group.
    In Management studio in section Management there is a Distributed Transaction Coordinator.
    When the two cluster groups are on the same node the Distributed Transaction Coordinator in Management Studio is green,
    but when the cluster group with MSDTC resource is moved to the second node (and MSDTC resource is online)
    the Distributed Transaction Coordinator in Management Studio is red.
    Is it normal ?
    Thanks [:)]
  2. satya Moderator

Do you get any error or warning for this behaviour?
    Check under SQL error log, also do you have dedicated resource for MSDTC in thsi case?
  3. JiriB New Member

Hi, thank you for the answer [:)]
    No, there is no error in the event viewer or in sql log.
    Only this is about MSDTC in SQL log:
    2007-08-20 10:15:41.23 Server Attempting to initialize Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

2007-08-20 10:15:43.76 Server Attempting to recover in-doubt distributed transactions involving Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

2007-08-20 10:15:44.17 Server The SQL Network Interface library could not register the Service Principal Name (SPN) for the SQL Server service. Error: 0x2098, state: 15. Failure to register an SPN may cause integrated authentication to fall back to NTLM instead of Kerberos. This is an informational message. Further action is only required if Kerberos authentication is required by authentication policies.

2007-08-20 10:15:44.39 spid5s Recovery of any in-doubt distributed transactions involving Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) has completed. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

2007-08-20 10:15:44.39 spid5s Recovery is complete. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

Thanks
  4. satya Moderator

5. JiriB New Member

Thank you,
    I have reinstalled whole cluster with Win2003 Enterprise x64 SP2 (both nodes) and installed SQL2005 Enterprise x64 SP2 again and there is the same issue [:(]
    MSDTC resource is created as cluster resource in cluster group on node1 and it is running, SQL virtual server is installed to node1 and node2
    When SQL is on node1 in management studio it seems all is OK (icon is green), but when I move SQL to node2 and MSDTC is still on node1 in management studio there is red icon and it seems that MSDTC is offline, but MSDTC is running well on node1.
    So I really don't know where could be a problem if in SQL Management Studio or it is "by default" [:)]

J.
  6. satya Moderator

If you are able to perform Distributed Transactions on node2, then no need to worry and for further clarification you might open up a Support case with Microsoft. It may get some hotfix if it cannot be resolved.
  7. JiriB New Member

OK, I will try some transaction.
    J.
  8. JiriB New Member

And the resource is in cluster group with quorum disk and cluster IP address.
    On cluster there are two groups (SQL group, Cluster group)
    I have not tested to create own group for MSDTC (I have no disk for it). I have read that it is possible to do it so (to put it to one group with quorum disk).
    Thanks