SQL Server Performance

Add group in SQL 2008 RC

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by stockholmpost, Apr 3, 2011.

1. stockholmpost New Member

Hi,
    I have a group called kwr-fs-dws-sqladm in (Active Directory/Exchange) and there are two users in that group.
    This group go to in SQL 2008 RC as sysadmin or SA.
    I have like 50 server both 2005 and 2008 and 100 Instance's. My question is that how can i add that group in sql server 2008 rc ? How to transfer logins ?
    At the same time i have to know who-when user login on SQL Instance's ?
    what user did on instance ?
    which syntax, update or delete record's etc ?
    Is there any way to insert that group in all server and instance's ?
    Thank you
    New DBA
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    I have deleted the other post as it stands duplicate.
    Anyway coming to the multiple questions you posted in the thred needs an explanation from your side:
    -SQL 2008 RC?
    Are you referring to SQL Server releas candidate 0 version, on the production environment or is this an acronym used in your enterprise?
    - how can i add that group....?
    Using SQL Server Management studio you can accomplish this task,
    Open SQL Server Management Studio-- >Connect to the desired SQL Server -->Expand the server entry -->Expand the "Security" folder --> Expand the "Logins" folder -> Right-click on the "Logins" folder and, in the pop-up menu, click on "New Login..." --> enter the AD group that you want to add and chooes SYSADMIN from Server Roles option on left hand side.
    Before clicking OK I would recommend to 'Script' the action to new query window which is visible on top line of currently opened window.
    -Further you are enquiring about how to know who-when user login on SQL Server instance.
    You can choose AUDIT feature in SQL SErver 2008 which is available in Enterprise Edition (EE), which means you have to see whether your exisiting SQL instance is an EE or not. See the articles http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/audit/index.aspx here and further information http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280386.aspx about the feature from here.
    Feel free to come back with any questions you may have.
  3. stockholmpost New Member

Hi Satya!
    First thank you very much - Mucho Grasis.
    RC:-Realse Candidate.
    I have around sql server 50 and sql 2008 instance's around 200, and all are in PRODUCTION.
    So i have to login and do to all server and instance ? Problem is that we dont have 3rd party tool to use, so please give me other suggestion, if you like.
  4. satya Moderator

Any specific reason you are using RELEASE CANDIDATE version in a production?
    The RC release may not function as expected as there are still associated bugs may be reported and behaviour will be different what RTM edition will have.
    You don't need a third party too perform the changes on all 50 servers, only the option is you have to execute the script on all the servers individually. Only Central Management Server concept has been introduced in SQL Server 2008 R2 version.
    See the step I've mentioned:
    Open SQL Server Management Studio-- >Connect to the desired SQL Server -->Expand the server entry -->Expand the "Security" folder --> Expand the "Logins" folder -> Right-click on the "Logins" folder and, in the pop-up menu, click on "New Login..." --> enter the AD group that you want to add and chooes SYSADMIN from Server Roles option on left hand side.
    See this http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=2179 for more information on how to generate the script for your actions on SSMS tool.