SQL Server Performance

Add the Admin Account

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by danny123, Jan 8, 2011.

1. danny123 New Member

Hi there,
    My machine got corrupted with virus and i ended up deleting the windows account from the machine. Now when i try to connect to sql server 2008 using the new account its not working (Obviously)
    I have two sql server installations, one is sql server express edition and another is sql server enterprise edition named instance.
    Express edition is working fine with no issues. But enterprise edition, when i try to log on to server from command prompt using below command, it just gives an application error pop up with Red X and no message in there.
    C:program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER08MSSQLBinn>sqlservr.exe -m
    Can someone guide in right direction?
    Thanks alot in advance!
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Are you sure the server is free of virus?
  3. preethi Member

You first said that you can't connect to the server. sqlservr is the service application. -m switch is used to start the service in single user mode. If you want to start the service in single user mode, you can use SQL Server Configuration Manager startup option. it cannot be used to log on into sql server.
    As I understand all sql server instances are installed locally, you can also login as local administrator and try to login. Otherwise, if the instance is using mixed mode authentication you can use sql login (sa) to connect.

4. satya Moderator

Did you check whether the server service is started or not?
    If that EE server is a default instance your command should work, otherwise you have to specify the named instance name.
  5. Parveensiwach New Member

Using SQL Server Surface Area Configuration Tool , You can add your windows account to SQL Server Again. Then try to connect it. or please provide the error message from SQL error log.
  6. RamJaddu Member

Hi There,
    Take the ownership of service ie run the service under your AD account then you have complete control on the instance, once you assign sysadmin roles to yourself you can revert service accounts back to normal.
    Cheers
  7. satya Moderator

Surface Area configuration tool is not available in SQL 2008 version, those settings can be managed using SQL Configuration manager,