SQL Server Performance

Adding a new subcribing server Production environment!!

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by jag_techie, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jag_techie New Member

hi All,
    We have transaction replication setup in sql server 2005 environment. We have a publishing server and a distributor server and 4 subscribing servers. Now i want to add a new subcribing server. Can i add it in the running production environment? If yes then how and wouldn't it have a big time problem on the publisher? The database is 800gb and cant afford any degradation in performance on the publisher. It is a very urgent. SO i would appreciate if some one can help me soon.Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you very much.
  2. satya Moderator

You could get that information from the latest books online http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms152503.aspx and you should update your local copy of BOL too.
    Moving the snapshot to another machine will only reduce the network I/O, if that is what is affecting your performance then perhaps it will improve. However it will not improve performance of SQL durning snapshot generation. Assuming you are not storing the snapshots on the same drive as the db or log at the moment.