SQL Server Performance

An Application Tunning Tool on SQL Server?!

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by ufobox, Dec 15, 2003.

1. ufobox New Member

Does anybody use,
    An Application Tunning Tool on SQL Server?!

Quest?

Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

Is it a third party tool or inhouse developed?

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

I think he is asking for Quest Software or similars.

Luis Martin

...Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
    Bertrand Russell
  4. ChrisFretwell New Member

We recently starting using quests spotlight on sql server and the new product quest central for databases. I havent had a chance to play with the quest central analysis tool yet though. It looks 'promissing' and I'm scheduled to be part of a web seminar wed for tips hints and how to's.

Chris
  5. satya Moderator

Yes Luis, seems related to Foglight & spotlight products...but none of them related to SQL application, only for SQL databases.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

I don't now any product related SQL Application.
    There is a lot of Software to development application, and if it use SP and SQL, well we have SQL tools.

Luis Martin

...Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
    Bertrand Russell
  7. ChrisFretwell New Member

In reading my quest(spotlight) documentation, there is a section on compatible products and one of them is this: (I cant support or deny what it says it does)

SQL Impact
    SQL Impact is a powerful impact analysis tool that scans source code to parse
    and register the SQL access pattern, pinpoints precisely all lines of affected
    source code, and drills down to the actual source code, revealing the impact on
    both application source code and database objects. SQL Impact supports all of
    the most popular source code languages, including dynamic SQL.
  8. ufobox New Member

Thanks all.

Spotlight / Central / Foglight are not good at application tunning.

I'll try SQL Impact later.
  9. DavidB New Member

You should look into InDepth for SQL Server which is made by Veritas (used to be owned by Precise Software). This product works similarly to profiler but adds a ton of value in the way that it archives the data so that you can do a whole bunch of sorting / slicing of the data to pull out the heavy hitting queries, procedures, code, etc. I'm not going to go into a big sales pitch but I was able to install, gather a days worth of data, and within 10 minutes I had found a query that was hitting us pretty hard. So, it makes finding and pointing out the bad code a whole lot easier. I will be the first to say that I could gather all this using profiler(more of a cost to the database server by far than InDepth), dump the output to a table and work out some analysis but this product makes the job very easy.

One other point to consider is that MS made a change to the system tables in SP3 just for this product so, you can see that they see some value in it.

Anyway, enough said. Here is the link to get more information.

http://www.veritas.com/products/category/ProductDetail.jhtml?productId=IndepthSQL

David
  10. vlafranca New Member

But i can use Sql Impact with SQL Server or only with Oracle ?

quote:Originally posted by ChrisFretwell

In reading my quest(spotlight) documentation, there is a section on compatible products and one of them is this: (I cant support or deny what it says it does)

SQL Impact
    SQL Impact is a powerful impact analysis tool that scans source code to parse
    and register the SQL access pattern, pinpoints precisely all lines of affected
    source code, and drills down to the actual source code, revealing the impact on
    both application source code and database objects. SQL Impact supports all of
    the most popular source code languages, including dynamic SQL.