SQL Server Performance

Any tuning tools use DMVs yet

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by MichaelB, Aug 7, 2008.

1. MichaelB Member

I am looking for a tool that helps make index recommendations automatically by using the new DMVs. I think DTA is great, but having to capture long traces to analyze traffic is annoying. I think there should be something out there that uses the information from the default trace in 2005 and 2008 and pumps out recommendations. This would be great. Is there enything like this???
    Mike
  2. satya Moderator

Mike
    I haven't seen any DMVs that recommend so and so solution, rather I treat them as to get system information status. I suggest to refer to the BOL which is obvious documentaiton for more information specific for index fragmentation.
  3. MichaelB Member

Thanks Satya. I think that I am not looking for fragmentation. The thing is, the default trace captures so much that you can get worst performing queries, etc. I am looking for somthing similar to DTA that will review that data and make recommendations based on workload.
  4. satya Moderator

So are you after third party tools?
  5. FrankKalis Moderator

No tool, but do you know this one: http://blogs.msdn.com/bartd/archive/2007/07/19/are-you-using-sql-s-missing-index-dmvs.aspx
  6. MichaelB Member

I knew of this too. I thank you for that though. The issue with this is that it doesnt truely look at workload as DTA would. it is close, but I am hoping some good programmer can put this into a good tool. Thanks all! sorry I havent been on much lately. Been busy!
  7. ndinakar Member

2008 does that for you. In 2005 I think it just tells you that you are missing indexes. 2008 actually creates the scripts for you. Check out codeplex.com. there are some custom projects that might be of help..Also I think DTA is more efficient than DMVs. DTA considers all SELECTs/UPDATEs/DELETEs before making a recommendation where as DMVs only looks at SELECTs.
  8. MichaelB Member

Thanks Dinakar!