SQL Server Performance

Anyone for Quiesce?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 3, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

In an organisational context, we often talk about how important communication is. However, it is not just the communication that is important, but also the context and localisation of the message that is being delivered. For example, I recently needed to purchase some headache tablets whilst I was in New Zealand and I asked the hotel concierge where I could find a drug store. It wasn't until he looked at me with a look of disbelief that I realised what I had said. In Australia and New Zealand, a shop where you purchase medicinal supplies is called a pharmacy or a chemist. The localisation of a drug store is a corner in a rundown part of town where drug dealers sell illegal drugs.
    One thing I often find with documentation is that it is targeted at the wrong audience. I have been reading the SQL Server books on-line documentation for a presentation that I am preparing and the first step in adding an article to an existing peer-to-peer configuration is to Quiesce the system. Now I understand what this means but there is no further description in the article of what Quiesce means. I am sure that there are many readers of this editorial that are experienced DBA's who have not heard this terminology before. I think the most important thing to remember with any documentation is who the intended audience is and not to assume that there is any pre-existing domain knowledge.
    - Peter Ward
  2. DKemp New Member

An older story, but still funny. The system people used the term "quiesce" for system shut downs, but to operations it must have sounded like "queeze". So we would always "queeze" the system before shutdown. We even had a job named "queeze" that ran as part of our process. Still a source for chuckles for the systems staff.