SQL Server Performance

Anytime, Anyplace

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 27, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have written in the past about 'new ways to work' and the increase in the number of companies that promote telecommuting. However, just as many companies are adopting the flexible workplace, many are finding that workplace flexibility is not improving work place moral and the bottom line. Companies including HP have ended telecommuting arrangements for hundreds in their workforces and Intel has started to require that telecommuters be in the office four days a week. Like a lot of things in life the idea of having ultimate flexibility seems like a great a idea; however, when you look deeper, it may not be all it was cracked up to be.
    Telecommuting was supposed to solve all the problems of work life balance; however, I often think that working from home actually skews the work life balance. The problem with working from home for some people is that despite the fact they can improve their productivity through the reduction in distractions, often the experience of working away from the office can be an isolating one. I have spoken to several senior managers of late who believe that team productivity is reduced due to the resentment between team members that work from home and those that don't. So is your company promoting working from home? How are they measuring the return?
    - Peter Ward