SQL Server Performance

Are You One of the Lucky Ones?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 21, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

Do you work in an IT department that you think is a great environment? InfoWorld recently released an article titled Top 10 qualities of a great IT shop and it got me thinking about what really makes a good IT department great. This particular article focuses more on the processes and benefits such as the latest technology and software. However, I think if you talk to an employee I am sure they will have a very different view of what they look for. Is it catered lunches, flexible work hours, or dual monitors that you look for in a workplace? If you work in a great IT department I would love to know what you think makes it great.
    - Peter Ward
  2. JohnKasra New Member

The company I work for has an internal IT department of approx 480 staff (comprising Developers, Sys Admins, Network Admins, BA's, Testers, Management, etc) in our Melbourne office alone.The resources that are available here are enormous and there are very few issues that one comes across that cannot be resolved internally.With such a large department, process is a major factor. This does not only include an SDLC, but the day to day running of the IT department (and others in the company).Our Desktop Support group automatically manages software updates, whilst the databases are kept up and running through transparent and co-ordinated efforts between the DBA, Network and Server teams.It is this team work that makes this place great. Everyone here is under no illusion that in order to keep the company up and running, we have to work together. Without the company running smoothly and making money, we will all be out of a job.We have a staff retention that I have not seen in any other company for a very long time. With over 10% of staff with over 15 years experience, and nearly 50 with over 5, you always know where to go when help is required.Finally, it is the experience that is contained in the department. We have developers who have seen products mature from inception to demise and management that have been promoted from lowly developer to upper management.