SQL Server Performance

ASP Session State - Hardware Requirements

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by melvinlusk, Dec 17, 2008.

1. melvinlusk Member

We're thinking about using SQL Server to store ASP session states. I don't have any experience with this and I'm curious as to what the hardware requirements for the SQL Server will need to be. There will be about 1,000 concurrent ASP users. Obviously the SQL database will need to reside on a clustered server. Also, do I need to have a dedicated SQL box for this, or can I use my current production SQL instance that holds user data (as far as performance is concerned)?
  2. techbabu303 New Member

What is current hardware configuration you have like RAM, RAID level and OS version SP's ?
    When you you want to store session state of ASP page, is this for audit purpose ? Can you elborate further ?
  3. techbabu303 New Member

Some place where I started on it is below
    http://faqfront.com/document/sql-server-session-state
  4. melvinlusk Member

The current production box is an active/passive cluster with 32-bit SQL 2005, 32-bit Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise. The storage is a 2Gb fiber attached SAN. The servers have quad 3.66 Ghz Xeon MP w/Hyper-Threading, and 8GB of RAM.
    Alternatively, I also have a Distributor running on a dedicated active/passive cluster. These boxes have a two dual-core Xeon 5160's at 3.0 Ghz with 4GB of RAM on 32-bit SQL 2005/Windows 2003 Enterprise. These are also attached to the same fiber SAN.
    I want to enable session state simply to provide redundancy for an ASP application pool, not for auditing purposes.
  5. satya Moderator