SQL Server Performance

automated package

Discussion in 'SQL Server DTS-Related Questions' started by yukon_dba, Dec 8, 2007.

1. yukon_dba New Member

Hi all,
    I had to repost here as this is a dts topic. sorry about this.....
    I have to create a automated package. Firstly i have to import 2 specific columns from a excel file to create table1 in a database. then i have table2 with 20 columns out of which i need only 3 columns. so its goes like this , i want to merge table1( 2 columns) with table 2 ( 3 specific columns) to create a new 3rd table with 5 columns. I want all these to be automated.Here below is what my manager ask me to do for more clarification.
    The plan should be: Automated Import of Excel file to a table.Automated code as stored procedure which will compare another table to this imported tableOutput results of the table are 5 columns.
    Eventually the code and automated import process will be implemented in a database.
    Please i would appreciate if anyone can guide me to make this package .Thank u all
    Yukon DBA
  2. ranjitjain New Member

Hi,
    How you are going to merge columns from excel data and columns extracted from 20 column table. Do you have any kind of relationship or join on any column between above two tables i.e. 2 column table and 3 column table
  3. satya Moderator

If the source data coloumns are static then you could run with a TSQL to create such a table on fly, but make sure the source data column values doesn't change.