SQL Server Performance

AWE allocated is 0 after enabling AWE

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by DaddyYankee, Feb 24, 2009.

1. DaddyYankee New Member

Hi All,
    I have a single instance SQL 2005 EE, on win 2003 EE box with 16GB RAM.To fully utilize all the available memory I decided to go for AWE enabled.
    I have implemented following steps to achive this
    1. Add /pae at the end of last line inside c:oot.ini
    2. Run gpedit.msc. On the left hand pane, expand Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, expand Security Settings, expand Local Policies, select User Rights Assignment
    3. On the right hand pane, find Lock pages in memory and double click, then add your Sql Server startup account into Local Security Policy Setting tab;
    4. In Sql Server Management Studio, run:
    sp_configure ’show advanced’, 1
    reconfigure
    sp_configure ‘awe enabled’, 1
    reconfigure
    5. Reboot.
    I have not made any changes to min server memory and max server memory.
    Now when I run DBCC Memorystatus I see awe allocated is 0,I dont know what went wrong or am I missing some thing.Is my awe is really enabled and is working fine
    when I run sp_configure I see the config_value of AWE is 1 and run_value is 0.
    I thaught of using perfmon to see the performance of awe memory.Under SQL server buffer manager I added all awe related counters such as awe look up etc
    When I checked the task manager ,memory value of sqlsrvr.exe is not more than 1.2 GB
    Unfortunately the value for these counters is again 0.
    Other relevant details are Buffer Cache Hit ratio is more than 99 which indicates RAM is ok.page/sec is not more than 3.tran per/sec is not more than 400.
    Can some one tell me why still AWE allocated and other relevant counter value is showing as 0
  2. MohammedU New Member

Don't check the memory in Task Manager...it will not give you accurate info...
    Use PerMon to see SQLServer:Memory Manager: Total Server Memory (KB) and SQLServer:Memory Manager: Target Server Memory (KB) counter to get the correct memory usage by the SQL server.
    http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/awe_memory_p1.aspx
    Note: SQL 2005 will not take all the available memory like SQL 2000, it will consume the memory all it needed.