SQL Server Performance

AWE memory settings for SQL Server.

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by LucasDa, Apr 13, 2010.

1. LucasDa New Member

Hi,
    I have a dedicated server for SQL Server that has 18GB of memory available. The SQL Server is configured with a maximum of 4GB memory. I would like to configure SQL Server to use all the memory you need (up to 18GB available). But before doing this I have the following questions:
    1. 18 GB available, What's the recommended number to assigned to the SQL Server?
    2. You must restart the server after this reconfiguration this option?
    3. What is the best way to do this configuration?
    4. It should be some consideration after reset this option?
    Thank.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Could you tell as what OS version including 32 or 64bits and same thing for SQL?
  3. satya Moderator

I believe there is no indication from OP on kind of SQL edition used here, so I would assume the problem has been resolved.
  4. satya Moderator

5. dbatag New Member

Dedicated SQL Server memory requires two parameters settings1. OS Levelconfigure AWE memory support depends on how much RAM your server has. To configure Windows 2000 or 2003, you must enter one of the following switches in the boot line of the boot.ini file, and reboot the server:4GB RAM: /3GB (AWE support is not used)8GB RAM: /3GB /PAE16GB RAM: /3GB /PAE16GB + RAM: /PAE2. SQL Server LevelEnable AWE if, SQL Server is going to use more than 4 GB of RAMCode to do This=================SP_CONFIGURE 'show advanced options', 1 RECONFIGURE GOSP_CONFIGURE 'awe enabled', 1RECONFIGUREGO3. you must specify the maximum amount of RAM that SQL Server can grabTo set the maximum amount of memory that AWE memory can access, you can use SQL Server's "max server memory" configuration option. For example:SP_CONFIGURE 'max server memory', 4096RECONFIGUREGOThanksDBATAG, http://sqlserver-training.com http://sqlserver-training.com -- Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question.
  6. charlii New Member

OS level configuration is easy to adopt.