SQL Server Performance

Back up

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ruchika, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ruchika New Member

How can we decide about the secheduling of the back up jobs apart from knowing downtime we can bear. i have tons database on production server and so confused about deciding the scheduled interval.
    ruchi

2. ghemant Moderator

3. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    Things to consider:mad:
    How many of them are 24/7 kind of application availability?
    How many of them are smaller, say only around 2GB?
    How many of them are bigger than 2GB?
    How many of them are scheduled with database maintenance plans?
  4. ruchika New Member

Thanks satya and hemant for ur previous answers.
    I have a problem again. THere are many database on my server that are not been used. how can i find that. i took transaction log at every 4 hours and noted the *.bak size to see if any transaction going on . All the database has some KB atleast 15 KB size each time. Does that means all the database has been used or transaction going on ...
    ruchi
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

About databases not used: Can you check with users or someone to confirm that?. May be those database are still actives and are necessary once by month.
  6. ruchika New Member

About databases not used: Can you check with users or someone toconfirm that?. May be those database are still actives and arenecessary once by month.
    -------
    You suggested me to check with users or someone. here is my issue no one in the company knows about it .i have joined the company and i am the one responsible to figure out if database is being used now or not...i tried taking transaction log back out but can't give me clue. can u help me with this.

7. satya Moderator

Best thing to take it forward monitor the database activity by running SP_WHO2 for couple of database and take DBID in account, then keep the databases that are not in that results as READONLY for a while and if anyone is complaining that they are unable to write then you can enable it back.
    After 3 weeks time simply set the unclaimed databases to SINLGE_USER mode that will get you more information, within next month or so if no one is claiming for the databases then simply take final backup and drop them.
    Piece of advice: Keep your manager in communication loop in order to save your pitch.
  8. satya Moderator

How can you confirm that those databases are not used at all?
    Do you have any monitoring facility or using PROFILER to monitor the activity?
    Backup is an important factor for database recoverability, if you need to provide point in time recoverability then even you need to continue Transaction log backup even though the database is read only. It is best to check with your Management or such application owners asking what is the best option for point in time recoverability.
    Moreover if you don't have issues such as free disk space or managing of these files for many databases then you need not worry about the files.