SQL Server Performance

backing up a mirrored database

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by mwalter, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mwalter New Member

Hi,
    we've just mirrored a database and I'm concerned about backing it up incase I stuff up the mirroring, which I think works on moving transaction logs.
    Will backing up a mirrored database affect the mirroring?
    Are there any general best practices for backing up mirrored databases?
    thanks in advance
    Martin
  2. preethi Member

You can;t take backup from Mirrored database. No connections are allowed on mirrored database
  3. mwalter New Member

[quote user="preethi"]
    You can;t take backup from Mirrored database. No connections are allowed on mirrored database
    [/quote]
    I mean that I want to backup the principal of a mirrored database pair.
    Will this affect the mirroring?
    Martin
  4. preethi Member

No Issues with that. As log entires of the backup process too will be transferred to the mirror, later when you switch the roles, your Mirror will take from exactly where you stopped at pricipal.
  5. satya Moderator

Are you looking for a high availability for your databases or wanted to have additional standby for MIRRORING setup?
  6. mwalter New Member

[quote user="satya"]
    Are you looking for a high availability for your databases or wanted to have additional standby for MIRRORING setup?
    [/quote]
    Satya,
    I thought it would be a good idea to have a backup of the principal database in case :
    - we lost both principal and mirror, or
    - we had to restore the database to its state at a previous time.
    My concern was that if I backed up the principal, it might stuff up the mirroring by breaking the log chain
    Martin