SQL Server Performance

Backup Device

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by danny123, Dec 14, 2007.

1. danny123 New Member

hi there,
    In my backup device i have the full backup and 10 transaction log backups.
    Is it possible to delete the transaction log backups from the backup device and keep the full backup.
    Please advice.
    Thanks
    Danny
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

What recovery model do you have?
  3. danny123 New Member

Thanks for the support!
    The recovery model is set to Full.
    Thanks
    Danny
  4. techbabu303 New Member

Why do want to delete tlog backups ?
    Cheers
    Sat
  5. danny123 New Member

What happened is i took the Full backup of database and then we want to get rid of the data for yr 2005.
    Now the transaction log backup all together with Full backup have taken so much of space that its we are getting short of space.
    Thats why we jus want to keep the full backup and not the transaction log backups.
    Thanks
    Danny
  6. techbabu303 New Member

In Our enviornament we ship TLog backups to backup servers geographiaclly situated more than 100 miles away where they are backup in tape drives.
    Have you create this backups in maintainence plans ?
    Cheers
    Sat
  7. danny123 New Member

Thanks for support!
    We are doing the same that backups are on tapes on some other server. But the database i am talking about here is just an log database for website hits. So we dont need the data for 2005 once we took the Full backup.
    Now i have the full backup as well as the transaction log backups on same device which i dont want. I want to get rid of only transaction logs from the backup devices .
    I dont know that if its even possible to delete only transaction log from device and keeping the full backup.
    Thanks
    Danny
  8. satya Moderator

Once you have the relevant databases full database backup then previous log backups will be redundant and you can drop them without any further doubts, if you are able to test this full backup by restoring on to the test server.
    Do not assume taking backup and storing on a location is sufficient, you should be able to test only after restoring the database onto the standby server to confirm the consistency of that backup file.
  9. danny123 New Member

I cant take the full backup again as the data for 2005 is deleted after taking the full backup once.
    This is how it is
    --->Full backup
    --> Transaction Log Backup 1
    -> Transaction Log Backup 2
    -> Transaction Log Backup 3
    -> Transaction Log Backup 4
    Now i want to delete all tracnsation log backups and keep the Full backup on the backup device.
    Is it possible to delete only transaction log backups from backup deivce?

Thanks
    Danny
  10. satya Moderator

Yes, without any issue and my suggestion is to ensure the data backup is not compromised.
    If they are defined with devices then you could us SP_DROPDEVICE, I think.
  11. danny123 New Member

Thanks for the support!
    Can you please tell me the steps how to delete only those TLog backups from backup device as i dont see any option any where to select them and delete them.
    Thanks
    Danny
  12. satya Moderator

13. danny123 New Member

But this way i will loose my Full backup also. I only want to delete the transaction logs backup from the backup device.
    And with INIT also over write the existing full backup which i dont want. I want to keep the Full Backup and delete the Transaction log Backups from the device.
    Thanks
    Danny
  14. satya Moderator

There is a confusion, run SP_HELPDEVICE and post here.
    Are you writing to the same device?
    Are you not writing to the different files?
  15. danny123 New Member

Yes i am taking backup on the same device and there is only one backup device.
    On the same device i took the Full Backup, then i took the TLong backup on same device and now i want to get rid of TLog Backups and keep full backup.
    Thanks
    Danny
  16. danny123 New Member

I just need to know whether i can even do this or not?
    Thanks
    Danny
  17. techbabu303 New Member

Hi Staya/Danny,
    Iam confused on this , cant he simply delete the tlog backups from drive where it is stored ?
    Is there something iam missing here, if you could explain it would clear my curious mind.
    Cheers
    Sat
  18. danny123 New Member

On drive the backup device is saved as on single file I cant open it and delete the transaction log separatly.
    May be i can use some third party tool but other than that i dont see how can i open the backup device on the drive and delete the TLog only.
    Thanks
    Danny
  19. techbabu303 New Member

Hey Danny,
    Seems you have no other option...
    But can you do what staya asked you to do using the system procedure and post here, just for my understanding.
    Thx
    Sat