SQL Server Performance

Backup job failed with Operating System error 3

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Chaitanya Ambaselkar, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Hi all,

This is Chaitanya, new member on this forum.
    I am maintaining a SQL server on which we have about 150 databases which we backup using a maintenance plan.
    Since a week the plan is failing to backup two databases with the "Operating System error 3". Using "net helpmsg 3" command I found the explanation of the error which says "Path not found".
    For me this is weird as all the databases are being backed up at same location and only two are failing with this error. All the other are backed up properly.
    Please find the error log for the maintenance plan as below:

I am a bit apprehensive about the bold part of the log. I am failing to find out the issue that may be causing the plan to fail only for two databases. If there were any errors in the plan itself, none of the databases should have been ever backed up. But all the databases were backed up properly but since a week I am having this issue.

NOTE: All the databases are backed up in a separate sub folder for each in a directory which has relevant privileges for user which runs SQL Agent.
  2. davidfarr Member

A close look at the bolded path in that error message shows a blank space character in two places, both occurring after the database name; ''EM_WH_sragrawal \\EM_WH_sragrawal _backup" . Since these backup paths are dynamically generated according your DB name, I suspect that your database name has a space character in it. A space character would cause problems when incorporated within file path syntax. You may need to rename the affected databases to remove any spacing characters or characters that could interfere with a OS file path syntax.
  3. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

Welcome to Forums

I do agree with Davidfarr , supporting that approach more,you can try to back it up to any proper backup file under the same backup path without spaces , if it still persist please try another path or you can check your ACL permissions for your SQL Services accounts on backup directories because I am sure it happened with me before , some paths are not inheriting the same ACL permissions assigned for SQL Services accounts on the entire of drive

Please let me know if any more help is needed here