SQL Server Performance

Backups and Log shipping

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Shanika, May 10, 2009.

1. Shanika New Member

Does a full/differential backup made using the backup dialog box in SSMS disrupt log shiiping of that database??? if Yes how can we take a backup of that system without disrupting log shipping
  2. SmartDBA New Member

3. Shanika New Member

great:) thank u so much :)
  4. Shanika New Member

i have one more question.. if we are performing differential backups after the full backup with COPY_ONLY option does the differential backup too has to be using the copy_only option???
  5. dhamu294 New Member

6. Shanika New Member

when i perform the differential backup as follows i get an error.. i cnt figure out wt is wrong.. plz help me with this
    /* Full Backup Using COPY_ONLY Option*/
    BACKUP DATABASE AdventureWorks
    TO DISK='C:BackupAW.bak'
    WITH COPY_ONLY

/* Differntial Backup Using COPY_ONLY Option */
    BACKUP DATABASE AdventureWorks
    TO DISK='C:BackupAW_diff.bak'
    WITH DIFFERENTIAL,COPY_ONLY
    error:
    Processed 20576 pages for database 'AdventureWorks', file 'AdventureWorks_Data' on file 2.
    Processed 1 pages for database 'AdventureWorks', file 'AdventureWorks_Log' on file 2.
    BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 20577 pages in 8.070 seconds (20.887 MB/sec).
    Msg 3035, Level 16, State 1, Line 9
    Cannot perform a differential backup for database "AdventureWorks", because a current database backup does not exist. Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE, omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option.
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 9
    BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

7. SmartDBA New Member

Can you retry the same once again. The steps which you are performing are correct.
  8. MohammedU New Member

From BOL:
    A data backup taken with the COPY_ONLY option cannot be used as a base backup for differential backups. Differential backups taken later will behave as if the copy-only backup does not exist.
  9. Shanika New Member

I tried the same thing on a different instance of sql and it worked fine :) Thank You all :)