SQL Server Performance

Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by bytehd, Mar 17, 2003.

1. bytehd New Member

Anyone have the stones to publish some benchmarks on these:
    I mean REAL marks, NOT TPC-D-W- 100,000 user fantasy benches
    ---------------------
    DB/2
    Oracle-pick-a-version
    MS SQL 2000- forget 7
    MySql 3/4
    Pervasive 7+
    Foxpro 6/7/8 (thats right VFP is faster than Oracle 8i)
    Access 2000+ - [mudslow]
    CACHE
    TeraData
    Sybase ASE 12+
    Sybase ASA 8

Thanks User Community
    --------------------------------------

PC User from Elbonia comes to America:

"We are excited to come to uhmereeka!!"

__Really, why?

"We want to check out your uhmericun databases"

__Really, why?

"All we have is Open Source in Elbonia"

__Yes, we know. Im Sorry. Can we buy you an economy?

"We are elbonians and need your uhmereekan no-how"

__Well, how can we help?

"Can you tell me which vendoors database is the queekest?"

__UM, no, I cant really

"Why is dat?" (DDS-DAT?$%#)

___Because, actually, we can. But Im not supposed to....

"To what?"

__Well, im not supposed to admit that we do run 10 different OSes and __15 different databases in the I.T. department.
    __That was supposedly the "curse of the '80s"

"Does that mean you ahmereekans dont know?"

__ Umm, uh, let me check with our lawyers about that.

"Lawyurs? I thought you were the I.T. guys"

__Really, why?

2. bradmcgehee New Member

As you may know, many, but not all, of these vendors have license agreements that prohibit anyone from publishing benchmarks. The legality of such a clause in a license agreement is debatable, but most people don't have the legal resources to find out.

In most cases, I really don't care a lot about benchmarks because most database performance problems are not related to how well the database code is, but to how well designed and written the application is. You can have the fastest database in the universe, but if the database design is poor and the application code is terrible, it will still run slow. Obviously, I won't use a desktop database (Access) where an enterprise database is needed, but other than that, I don't care a whole lot about speed. What I care about more is cost (TCO) and ease of use.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. trifunk New Member

As a developer I'd have to agree, if your application is well designed and your sql well written then you don't really get problems with the database and whether you're running against Sql-Server or Oracle doesn't make all that much difference even under heavier loads.
    You'd probably find benchmarks on all the above but they're always marred by allegations (which are probably true) that the vendors 'streamline' the code (for the RDMS) and machines they run the benchmarks on and you'll never get exactly what you're looking for when you want to make comparisons.

As a DBA (which I'm not) I expect speed to be lower down on the list and other issues revolving around maintenance to be of greater importance.

Cheers
    Shaun

World Domination Through Superior Software
  4. Chappy New Member

I agree with these posts. I think each RDBMS will have its strengths in terms of speed, but theres more to influence your decision than just speed.

Im a huge fan of MySQL, It works very well for a low cost website backend, but Id never really use it in a critical corporate environment. It performs well, but if a bug was discovered in it which damages your data, you havent really got a leg to stand on.
    On the other hand, if a similar bug was found in MSSQL, or Oracle etc, you can guarantee the teams would throw all huge resources at it.

For something like a sql server, you can always throw more hardware at it if basic underlying speed becomes a problem. Bad application design often cant be solved so easily.
  5. bytehd New Member

As i figured...
    no response.
  6. bytehd New Member

10,000 jobhunters in the usa cant wait to hear from the
    "new era" dba
    'I don't care a whole lot about speed'
  7. trifunk New Member

I don't think that's what these posts are saying.
    Databases like DB2, SQL-Server and Oracle among others provide great speed even under heavy workloads.
    With enterprises being of such a large scale today speed isn't the main issue because the databases are pretty much fast enough (there's always room for improvement though) but issues like data integrity and maintenance on databases that run into gigabytes require a high level of stability, security and ease of use because the data is the core of these organisations and that's what I think these posts are saying.

Just how fast can you tune a database, because that won't really matter if the network, hardware and applications that use it aren't up to spec or in the case of applications tuned and optimized for data acces, the system as a whole needs to be robust and tuned for data access, the onus isn't only on the database to provide speed, that should be part of the design of the entire system and it's infrastructure.

A benchmark will give you some indication of the speed of the database and throughput but I don't think it gives a true indication of how much speed you'll get out of your system because it's only one part (albeit a core part) of the system/application.

I didn't understand the term 'new era dba' though, can anyone explain that to me?

Cheers
    Shaun

World Domination Through Superior Software