SQL Server Performance

Best Perfmon Counters for Determining Read/Write Ratio of an Application?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by DBADave, Aug 28, 2009.

1. DBADave New Member

We are trying to assess if our application can be moved to Solid State Drives. In researching SSD we found that write-intensive applications are not good candidates because they will burn out the SSD cells too quickly. What are the counters we should focus on to determine the read/write ratio of an application?Logical Disk
    % Disk Read Time % Disk Write Time
    Physical DiskDisk Reads/sec Disk Writes/sec
    Disk Read Bytes/sec Disk Write Bytes/sec
    I'm not sure if I need to focus on all of the counters above or if only a few, such as % Disk Read/Write and Disk Read&Write Bytes/sec are good enough.
    Thanks, Dave
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

To me, % is enough.
  3. DBADave New Member

Thanks Luis. I wasn't sure if I needed to factor in the bytes in order to quantify the read/write load. Working with SSDs is new for me and because the NAND flash drives burn out quicker with high write activity I'm trying to determine the best way to analyse read/write ratio.
    Dave
  4. MohammedU New Member

5. DBADave New Member

Avg. Disk Queue Length can be used to help determine if a bottleneck exists, but I'm not sure I understand how it will show the ratio between reads and writes? I'm not looking to identify bottlenecks, only read/write ratios. Am I missing something with this counter?
    Dave