SQL Server Performance

Best place for tempdb

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by timscronin, Mar 13, 2009.

1. timscronin New Member

I have a sql 2005 install on a active/passive cluster attached to a SAN. Currrently I have an array set for my mdf E:, my indexes i:, translogs k:, and backups on l:. Currently I have my tempdb on e: with the MDF's which probably is not the best place (This is an OLTP db). If I had my choice I would like a separate array for the tempdb, but if not would my I: drive with the backups be the best place. This drive is utilized mostly at nite when I do my litespeed backups with the client use is way down. Any thoughts
  2. ndinakar Member

I would choose the same too...presuming all drives have same throughput.
  3. melvinlusk Member

What RAID type are does I: use? Best not to put tempdb on a RAID 5 array....
  4. satya Moderator

Ok, what kind of activities are expected from the application and queries that are executed regularly. If your SQL Server's tempdb database is heavily used by your application(s), consider locating it on an array of its own (such as RAID 1 or RAID 10). This will allow disk I/O to be more evenly distributed, reducing disk I/O contention issues, and speeding up SQL Server's overall performance