SQL Server Performance

Best Practices

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Feb 5, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

My wife and I are about to embark on a renovation project on the house we moved into in September last year. At the moment we are making a lot of cosmetic changes to the house before we start the major works and enclose underneath the house. Hence, while the beams are still exposed downstairs we are running all of the cables to setup the network at home. One of the things I wanted done today was for extra cable runs to be made and then a loop of cable to be left strung up downstairs so that we would not need to make another cable run when the stud walls are constructed; as a result, this led into a debate with the cable contractor about best practices.
    The electrician started to tell me that it was not best practice to leave the cable unterminated and that we should make another run when we were ready. However, when you think about what best practices means, it actually means that one process is more effective at delivering a particular outcome than any other. I often find that people blindly follow a best practice when they should be utilising another technique due to the specific situation. Do you have a set of best practices that you follow or do you assess the application of them in each particular situation?
    - Peter Ward