SQL Server Performance

Buffer cache hit ratio

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by vanantharaman, Apr 9, 2008.

1. vanantharaman New Member

Hi all
    i am new to this forum, though i am not a SQL DBA, i am responsible for monitoring the SQL instances in our company, we use windows perfmon tool
    we are collecting performance data using basic SQL counters to monitor the SQL servers (instances). One of the counter is Buffer cache hit ratio. We have set the thershold for this counter is <90. this counter trigger's whenever the value gets below 90.
    The problem is we are getting the alert through perfmon for one of our server (instance) for this counter value is 0. So we asked DBA to see the activity/performance of this instance. there are 5 to 6 users using this server. only one instance is there on that server. she is telling there is no performance problem on this server. then why this counter generate value as 0 continusly.
    Please give me the heads up on this........
    ananth
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

It can't be.
    What OS (32,64bits), and SQL 2005 (sp?, 32, 64bits) do you have?
    Also, is one server with one instance?
  3. vanantharaman New Member

Hi thanks for your reply
    its Win 2K3 with SP1 and SQL 2005 with SP2 (32 Bit)
    yes it is one server with one instance
    it have 4 Gb of Ram and the page file is proper
    so am wondering why the counter triggers contiously zero
    please help me
    reg
    ananth
  4. satya Moderator

5. vgorod New Member

There could be 2 things. First, the service "Remote Registry" on the server must be running. Check it. If it's running, restart it. In my case restarting helped. Secondly, as long as your server is 2005 check if service "SQL Server Browser" on the box is running.
  6. satya Moderator

I;m unable to understand how remote registry and browser service would help in buffer cache hit ratio?