SQL Server Performance

Building an database for performance tuning???

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by frazer1, Mar 12, 2003.

1. frazer1 New Member

At present i'm trying to build a database (access or sql) to input DBA specific data into, on a regular basis (ie: every 4 hours).

data to be entered includes... (data to be extracted from multiple sql databases on multiple servers)
    1. Trasaction log size
    2. total data base size
    3. Cpu usage
    4. Memory usage
    ect...

this data is will be used to produce graphs ect. to chart database growth and predict future growth. I need tobe able to automate this process, but not sure how it can be done. Any useful product info about products that could help me out would also be great! Hope someone can help?!?!

cheers
    frazer
  2. satya Moderator

3. Chappy New Member

Also for data you want to log which is not covered by the standard windows or sql performance counters, you can look into creating user defined counters.

Do this by editing the system stored procedures sp_User_CounterN where N is the counter number. These should return a numeric value, which can then be plotted and logged just like a normal counter.

Obviously you shouldnt do anything intensive in these stored procedures, such as spawning to shell, or generate a lot of disk activity
  4. Argyle New Member

5. satya Moderator

Mostly MS discourages to access system tables directly.

Satya SKJ
  6. bradmcgehee New Member

I don't have any sample code, but I would take the approach of writing SPs and then running them every four hours using a SQL Server Agent job. I would also write the data to SQL directly and not use Access.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com