SQL Server Performance

BUILTINAdministrators

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by tkelley, Dec 12, 2002.

1. tkelley New Member

How would deleting the "BUILTINAdministrators" affect SQL Server 7? I am trying to limit access to my databases. I have programmers modifying my databases and they are also Administrators on the machine. This would prevent them from accessing the DB, correct?

Any thoughts?

----------
    T Kelley
    MS, MCDBA, OCA, CIW

2. royv New Member

If you forgot the sa password and you do not have the built in administrators group, you would be out of luck at that point. I'm not sure if you could rebuild the master and try a new password, anyone know if this would work?

"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"
  3. tkelley New Member

I have my domain account set up in the System Administrators role, so that should cover me if I forget my SA password correct?

I was trying to pinpoint the purpose of the "BUILTINAdministors" login.

----------
    T Kelley
    MS, MCDBA, OCA, CIW

4. royv New Member

yup i think that should cover you. as far as the purpose, i believe in general windows defaults administrator groups to have access to most everything unless manually removed.

"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"
  5. bradmcgehee New Member

From a security standpoint, I always (with one exception) recommend that the BUILTINAdministrators group be deleted. Like you said, as long as you have your own NT account set to Systems Administrator, and you know the SA, you will be safe. The only exception to this is if you run a SQL Server 2000 cluster. Microsoft recommends that this account stay, otherwise you will have cluster-related problems. I have not tried removing this account from my 2000 cluster to see what would happen. Has anybody tried this before?

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  6. tkelley New Member

Thank you guys, I have removed it and all is working fine. I've seen that about the 2000 clustering, too.

----------
    T Kelley
    MS, MCDBA, OCA, CIW