SQL Server Performance

BYO Computer

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 11, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

In the past it was expected that organisations would supply staff with stationary supplies such as notepads and pens. Times have changed and now very few companies supply stationary anymore. This could be because of cost saving measures, but I think it has more to do with the fact that computers have taken over from pens and pencils as the writing implement of choice.
    As a consultant I always supply my own computer equipment and software when onsite with customers. While onsite with a customer today I started to think about how laptops have become so prevalent and that they are no longer a device restricted to the workplace. You can now purchase a laptop for less than $500 and it will perform all the tasks that the majority of users require such as e-mail and word processing. I always find that when I use my own computer I am much more productive as it has all the tools that I need and is configured just the way that I like it. So I wonder how long it will be until companies stop supplying staff with a laptop and they bring their own much the same way that staff today often supply their own stationary?
    - Peter Ward
  2. Greg Larsen New Member

I don't think companies will start moving toward employees bring there own hardware for two reasons:- Employees might feel that the employer should by the tools they need to perform their job.- Corporation, like mine, have policies in place tha restrict non-corporate own equipment from being physically connected to our corporate network.On the flip side I'd like to see contractors bring their own equipment as part of their service. If we didn't have the policy we do I would say they should bring their own equipment. If they don't bring their own then we should charge contractor to use company own equipment, or negatiate a lower rate to pay for the contractors equipment. But for actual corporate employees I'm do not think they should be required to provide their own equipment just to do their job.
  3. I wouldn't be suprised if they starting asking technology employees to provide their own equipment for the job. Kind of like how a lot of companies ask for your personal cell phone and don't provide a company cell phone for technical support related calls. I think it's becoming a "nickel and dime" industry and I'm embarassed to see it moving that way. I personally think it would be cool if companies offered to compensate their employees to be able to buy their own laptop and use it for company business --with some restrictions of course like virus software, security policices installed, etc. i work for a company that gives me an allowance for my cell phone provided that I am willing to use for after hours technical support. It would be great if they would consider a similar arrangement when it comes to a laptop. What do you guys think?Regarding the contractor providing their own equipment: I was never able to afford to pay for my own software licenses for SQL Server, Oracle, .Net etc. I always have had to rely on the company to provide that software to me.