SQL Server Performance

Can anyone help with troubleshoot of WRITELOG on new machine running very slow?

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Rasmus Wulff Jensen, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Rasmus Wulff Jensen New Member

Hi Experts

I recently moved away from an old Intel 2,4 GHZ Dual Core dev. machine with 4 GB RAM and SSD to a XEON 2.8 GHZ, 8 GB SSD machine

Both machines running Win 7 pro.

My trouble is that this new machine while being fast at everything else is very slow to run MSSQL server.

Example 1: A program that make brand new ERP system databases (1400 tables) take on the old machine 2 min to run. On new machine same operation take 14 minutes!

Example 2: Using RedGates data generation tool I can on old machine create a big dummy table with 100.000 rows in 1.5 min.. On new system it takes 2.5 min.

Looking are the MSSQL SQL monitor I can see a resource wait on WRITELOG and in resource waits Logging where most time is spent

WriteLog.png

My problem is I can't see why.. I've checked I/O performance on the SDD and it performs quite well

Attached is the disk benchmark and Activity monitor.

disk performance.png

Can anyone point me in the direction on how to continue testing to find out why newer and "faster" software performs so slow?

Kind regards

Rasmus Wulff Jensen
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
    Did you full update statistics in new machine for each database?
  3. Rasmus Wulff Jensen New Member

No databases was moved from the old to the new system... It is a development environment so all databases are created on the new machine (so I assume stats are already up to date)
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Ok. What about configuration?. Is the same? i.e.: paralellism, max memory, etc.
    I just trying to check standard things.
  5. Rasmus Wulff Jensen New Member

All is out of box settings from default install (aka the same)... Might not be 100% optimal but should still not make 7-10 times slower
  6. Luis Martin Moderator