SQL Server Performance

Capture SQL statements and update tables before execution

Discussion in 'T-SQL Performance Tuning for Developers' started by maxwell, Dec 7, 2008.

1. maxwell New Member

Hi
    Our setup is as follows (in my laymans terms):
    We have data in proprietary tabes (written in providex language). we run crystal reports against those tables which takes FOREVER. i am able to import the data (using an ODBC driver) from the proprietary table into SQL server 2000. running the same report from the SQL server takes a second (literally). i am also able to use the same ODBC connection to update the tables using a simple SELECT... INTO... WHERE NOT EXISTS query. the problem is that this query needs to be run each time before a report is run so the data is "live". How???
    Notes: i obviously only want to update the tables needed for the report that is being run. the data needs to be up to the minute, so nightly run won't work. creating a view to run the update query takes a while since the entire table needs to be recreated in addition to the new records being appended.
    Many Thanks
  2. jason7655 New Member

So the one that takes forever is a linked server and maybe an openquery?
    are you using stored procedures for the crystal report?
  3. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    How frequently you need to run this report?
    If not you could setup a DTS job overnight or at the time when you need to run the report then execute that report.
  4. moh_hassan20 New Member

create a view
    and use it as a source for your report