SQL Server Performance

Career change-SQL Administration

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side of Being a DBA' started by nb0474, Sep 11, 2006.

1. nb0474 New Member

Well, I'm thinking about career change. Currently I work as a civil drafter which is not a bad job, just not paid enough. I also have a associate degree in Computer Information SYstems (I had few database classes)(2002 finished). It seems to me that Database Administrator jobs are still in demand in USA and paid very well. What would be my chances of finding a job if I get Microsoft Certification (for database administrator-I guess SQL server 2000 or 2005) with associate degree and no experience (I'm very good with web design but not too good with databases). I know Access very well and I know how to write basic SQL queries. I'm not planning to go for bachelors degree. Is it worth spending time getting certification? Do I have any chance (because it seems to me like I wasted my time getting associate degree)?

Nebi
  2. ghemant Moderator

Hi Nebi,
    Being a DBA is a good. When you change/choose your career *it depends* upon your INTEREST and willingness. So its all upto you , analyse your situation and take a proper dicision, IMO getting a Certification could help you recognise yourself to get a good job. But its all upto you and your interest+willingness.

Regards

Hemantgiri S. Goswami
    ghemant@gmail.com
    "Humans don't have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" - by Hemantgiri S. Goswami
    ------------------------
    http://hemantgirisgoswami.blogspot.com