SQL Server Performance

Cascading Replication

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by ramkumar.mu, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ramkumar.mu New Member

I have the following replication setup in my PROD Servers.
    ServerA -> ServerB -> ServerC, ServerD, ServerE, ServerF
    ServerA is the Publisher
    ServerB is Subscriber for ServerA where as it is the Publisher for Server C, D, E, F
    Also, there is a Asynchronous Mirroring Setup between Server A & Server G for the same database without a witness.
    Distributor is on Server A and Push Subscription is used.
    Similarly Distibutor on Server B is used to push subscriptions to Server C, D, E, F
    Now if my ServerA fails and if i manually failover to ServerB...
    do i have to manually configure replication to ServerB and apply fresh snapshot on ServerB?
    In that case, what happens to the replication setup between Server B -> Servers C, D, E, F. Do i need to re-setup the replication here too and apply a new snapshot?
    Please help...
  2. satya Moderator

FOr the all new replication setup you must reconfigure to take the new settings into affect. Or you can also redefine the replication and disable the snapshot jobs to run when the failvoer is happened.
    It depends on the type of replication you are using here. You are designing a replication solution for the following requirements:
    • A replication set is to be replicated from a single source to many targets that all require substantially the same replication data.
      • The replicated data in the targets is read-only, or if it is updated at the targets by any applications, it is accepted that these updates can be overwritten by later transmissions. This is called a master-subordinate relationship.
        Hence the replication flow is one-way, from the source to the targets, and neither conflict detection nor conflict resolution are triggered at the targets because of target changes.
  3. ramkumar.mu New Member

If i understand that correctly...
    When i do manual failover from Server A to Mirror Server (Server G), the existing Replication Setup from ServerB -> ServerC, D, E, F is not affected (apart from few hours of latency in case)