SQL Server Performance

Certificate to Work

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 23, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

Today has been one of those days where I have been running all over the city from one meeting to another. In between meetings I have been trying to get organised for my sister-in-law's wedding tomorrow. This is the first time I have opened my computer all day and I thought I would sit at a coffee shop next to the Brisbane River and write this editorial and kill an hour while waiting for the QLD SQL Server User Group that I am presenting at tonight. Ironically, one of the conversations on the table next to me was by a group of female work colleagues celebrating the last day of work for one of them before they got married this weekend.
    One of the stories that were being talked about was from an Asian woman who was describing how it was tradition for the couple to be to attend six months of wedding training. Only if they attended this training and passed the final exam would they receive a certificate which would allow them to get married. Now I am not going to question the merits of someone else's culture but I think that this style of approach of 'certification' could be beneficial in the workplace. Imagine a training program to certify that the employee was suitably skilled for the employer and that the employee was happy with the employer.
    - Peter Ward
  2. unclebiguns New Member

In the US, I would think that this is what the probationary period is for. Most companies have a probationary period when you start work that typically varies from 30-90 days. Unfortunately I don't think most companies properly use this time period.
  3. mutekinohito New Member

I like the idea of work certification (by the employer). I am self-taught, and have found quite hard to get a job within the industry, just because I do not hold a degree in computer science. During the years I have met numerous individuals who flash their third-party certificates all over the place, and are unable to offer solid results.I believe that it would be great if employers took the time to “certificate” that applicants are indeed qualified based on their ability to offer reliable solutions rather than just looking at their academic achievements; after all, we are more than just numbers in a piece of paper, aren’t we?
  4. jerryhung New Member

Not all Asia countries have this 'marriage certificate' thing either. Japan will be #1 country that I believe it exists, definitely not China or TaiwanSupposedly, companies should have a good idea of the person from the interviews. Then the probation period is really for both parties to discover whether they like or bond with each other. No guarantees, but it is at least a good way to size each otherAnd I also think certification is overrated :p