SQL Server Performance

Change Table Filegroups on 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by PaulTeal, Aug 13, 2007.

1. PaulTeal New Member

I have approximately 400 - 600 tables that need to have their filegroups changed on a new SQL 2005 installation. In 2000, I could go the table properties in Enterprise Manager and change the filegroup, but on 2005 Management Studio, I can view (but not change) the table properties.
    I realize that I can create the table on the other filegroup using a new name, move my constraints and indexes to this new table, copy the data over, drop the original table, then rename the new table to the name my application is expecting. But that could take me weeks (especially with such a time-consuming process)! I don't mind the process being so slow, but I do mind it being labor intensive.
    Does anyone have an idea how I can automate this process (or at least make it as easy as it was with Enterprise Manager?)
  2. schampion New Member

As far as the old method this is still available in 2005. Go to the design view of the table and then click on a column. Then goto the properties and expand the "regular data space specs" you will find the old method here. As far as 400~600 tables I would think you might be able to use the sysobjects and bulid a dynamic sql script to run the changes.
  3. PaulTeal New Member

Thanks! Just what I was looking for!