SQL Server Performance

Changing the IP for a SQL 2008 cluster default instance

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by WingSzeto, Jan 2, 2009.

1. WingSzeto Member

After SQL cluster was setup and tested, we are ready to move to a production environment. Say our test environment is using 192.x.x.x network, the production is using 11.x.x.x network. Is there a way to change the IP for the SQL cluster default instance without destroying the cluster first?
    We are using two-node active passive clustering scheme. It is on Window 2008 enterpise 64 bit version and SQL 2008 is a standard 64 bit version.
    Any pointer is very much appreciated.
    Wingman
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. WingSzeto Member

Thank for the reply.
    Actually I did read about the link before I posted my question. But I had difficult following the steps from step 2 to 5 and since it doesn't match what I see in SQL 2008 clustering admin tool, I thought it may be for SQL 2005 so I posted my question. Anyway, on step 2, it mentioned about the 'Group Node'. If it means the Nodes subtree in the cluster management tool, it has no IP adddress I can update. If it means the 'Services and Applications' subtree, there is a SQL resource group I created during the SQL cluster installation and I can expand and right click the IP address under the Server Name(SQL cluster instance name) on the Right Pane. But I don't see any Parameters tab at all as stated in step 4. But under the general tab, there is a Static IP address field which allows me to change the IP address. However, as for my original question which I like to change the IP address from 192.x.x.x to 11.x.x.x, it won't allow me to change from 192 to 11. I can change the last part of the IP but not the first part. Is there a way to do it?
    I also want to know if the BOL steps and the link you mentioned are for SQL 2008 because if I am doing something wrong in my SQL 2008 cluster setup, I need to know it now.
  4. satya Moderator

Have you checked whether relevant permissions are assigned to CLUSTER service & SQL SErver service accounts on this environment?
    Also while deploying the CLUADMIN tool make sure to run it as ADMINISTRATOR.
  5. WingSzeto Member

Yes, I did. Just to make sure, here is what I did. For the cluster service account, it has a local admin right and has the 'create computer object' right, and the 'publc' right to the SQL server. These are done based on a MS article I read. For the SQL service account, it just needs a domain user account. Let me know if this is what you expect.
    For the CLUAdmin, the windows account I log in to that server already has a local administrator right. In any case, rather running CLUadmin tool as is or run it as administrator gives me the same features and menu options in the CluAdmin management console.
    When you run the CLUAdmin tool in windows 2008, are you seeing what I am seeing or you are seeing what the link and its instructions are showing?