SQL Server Performance

clarification on data mining prediction

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services' started by ramaraomca, Apr 13, 2007.

1. ramaraomca New Member

We have Two Dimension Tables namely,

DIMPRODUCT table
    and the following are the attributes of DIMPRODUCT table

PRODUCT_ID
    PRODUCT_DESC_ID
    LAST_MODIFIED
    PRODUCT_RELEASE_DATE
    DIMTIME
    MONTH_ID

DIMTIME table and it's content,
    MONTH and MONTH_ID

One Fact Table namely,

FACT_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_SA table and it's content,

PRODUCT_ID
    SALES_AMOUNT
    MONTH_ID

Now, we would like to predict for next one month sales amount for the particular product, based on historical data. How to do that? Please suggest me ASAP.

Thanks,
    Rama Rao & Srinivas

2. satya Moderator

Is this a classroom based or interview question?
    I believe you can take help of data mining features in this case. Time Series algorithm allows you to analyze and forecast any time-based data, such as sales or inventory.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
  3. ramaraomca New Member

quote:Originally posted by satya

Is this a classroom based or interview question?
    I believe you can take help of data mining features in this case. Time Series algorithm allows you to analyze and forecast any time-based data, such as sales or inventory.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.

Hi Satya,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please provide how to predict based on historical data using SSAS 2005? We are getting some results, but, we are unable to find, those results are correct or not. So, please provide some documentation or else any sample dumped application. Basically, we are failing in Mining Structure and Mining Model Prediction tab.

Awaiting for your valuable reply.

Thanks,
    Rama Rao
  4. satya Moderator