SQL Server Performance

Cluster active/active remote

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by karlos_lopez, Feb 25, 2010.

1. karlos_lopez New Member

I need config one cluster in active / active mode in two servers with W2003 Enterprise R2 and SQL Server 2005. I have the next questions:
    1. I need install the database in the locall disk on each server. I can make this???
    2. The server are in two distant sites, in the same city but the offices are connected across fiber. How i must connect the NIC for the cluster??, across one switch??.
    3. In this moment I have only one server, I can config the cluster with only one node and when I receive the another server include this in the cluster as the second node???
    4. I need install the sql server 2005 in the node1 and 2?? is the same instance or are diferent instances???
    5. What is the difference with the installation in active / passive mode??
    Thanks for your help, I need begin this job now!!!!
    P.D. sorry for my english.
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums
    I think you need to understand a bit about ACTIVe/ACTIVE clustering topic, now it is called as Multi-instance which presents to the client as multiple virtual servers where multiple nodes can be online simultaneously, and resources are shared in distinct units called resource groups.
    At any one time one node can have no resource groups, one resource group or all resource groups. In your case we are talking about a two node cluster, but clustering is not limited to two nodes. Verify the cluster is configured properly. Once you have built your Windows cluster, ensure the following:
    Check cluster disk resource group. You will need to add resource groups for each SQL virtual server. For example, your default instance might need to own disks D and E, while your named instance might need to own disks F and G. Create these disk resource groups in advance to make sure they can move around and will come online for all nodes.
    Further information is available from http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/clustering/cluster_sql_server_2005_p1.aspx link.