SQL Server Performance

Clustering setup

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by farr77, Aug 31, 2007.

1. farr77 New Member

I am building a SQL Server 2005 failover cluster environment. I have few questions regarding clustering setup. I am little confuse about few things. Please correct me if i am wrong. We have 2 nodes, C1(SQLC1) and C2 (SQLC2).
    1- when I start installing and creating a new instance (SQLSG1), on C1 node, this instance will have their own IP and host address. do I have to create the same instance (SQLSG1) on C2 node?
    2- SQL Server 2005 enterprise editon support 25 instances. When i create a 2nd instance (SQLSG2), do i have to go through same steps again like done on first instance like put CD?
    thanks for help
  2. ghemant Moderator

3. bradmcgehee New Member

The first decision you must make is whether or not you want to implement a active/passive or an active/active clustering design. If you are implementing an active/passive design, you will only install one instance of SQL Server. If you implement an active/active cluster, then you will install two instances of SQL Server, one on each node. Normally, you do not want to install more than two instances of SQL Server on a 2-node cluster. If you want more SQL Server instances, you should install additional clustering nodes. While SQL Server clustering does support many instances, it is not a good idea. It sounds like you need to read up on this subject more before pursuring your installation. Clusters can be difficult to setup, and you need to do lots of research before you begin.