SQL Server Performance

Clustering with many databases

Discussion in 'SQL Server Clustering' started by Berlin142, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Berlin142 New Member

I must create a multinode Active/Acive cluster to server a very large number of databases (up to 50.000!). To do that I'll use datacenter with IA-64 processors (16 per cluster). The question I have is the following: When I for example have 9 active instances with 1.000 databases per instance and I'll try to take the ownership to three instances with on one another node - how long this will stay [?] [?] [?] ? The databases usage will be very low but all must be active. And I have to server 99,9% available. I fI need there some hours to switch this can be a big problem.
    I know that this is a misterious scenario. But I must implement this with terabytes of data.

Thanks in advance.

Jens Tolkmitt
    jens.tolkmitt@msx-info.de
  2. Argyle New Member

With this number of databases and size of data I would contact Microsoft for their input about setting this up, handling failover and backup/restore scenarios.
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

I have no idea, I have never worked on such a large scenero. I know there are some ISPs that do this kind of think, but I don't know now they go about it. If you don't get any good advice here, you might consider e-mailing some large ISPs, asking them how they handle such situations. If you are persistent enough, you should be able to find someone to provide you some advice.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com