SQL Server Performance

Commodity Hardware

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 10, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I am not sure if I am starting to show my age but I remember when a 20MB hard drive seemed to be an enormous amount of space. Back in the day it was almost impossible to conceive of filling up a 20MB hard drive. It is amazing how times have changed, as even Bill Gates was famous for saying that no one will ever need more that 640K of memory and that 640K of memory would be more than enough memory for anyone. These days even my microwave oven has more than 640K of memory. Computer hardware has now become a commodity and it is now possible to purchase USB thumb drive with storage capacity in excess of 64GB.
    I will be heading to Vietnam over Christmas as the groom in a friend's wedding and I need a way to check e-mail and use the Internet. Rather than take one of my full size laptops I decided to purchase a netbook that I can slip into my backpack. Despite the fact that the netbook I purchased only has a 9-inch screen, the computer has 2GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive. Only a few years ago this sort of power was limited to high-end servers rather than a commodity device that can be purchased for less than $600. It appears that the consumer market is now finally driving the server market rather than the other way around.
    - Peter Ward
  2. goodideadave New Member

"I will be heading to Vietnam over Christmas as the groom in a friend's wedding"I should hope so!
  3. pward New Member

It is amazing the difference in meaning a typo can make :)
  4. goodideadave New Member

And the problem with a blog that encourages comments is that if you aren't extra careful in your editing, some jerk will instantaneously point out every little error. ;)