SQL Server Performance

Compression in SQL Server 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by thomas, Aug 8, 2007.

1. thomas New Member

2. Luis Martin Moderator

Thanks for sharing.
  3. FrankKalis Moderator

Have you played with this feature yet? Sounds to me, that the third party market for these tools is facing very hard times.
  4. satya Moderator

Don't think so, as it says in the documentation it works perfectly.
    I have but not getting major difference as the size is pretty small and due to disk space concerns on my home pc. Soon I will blog about it too. [:D]
  5. FrankKalis Moderator

Sorry, but I don't understand your answer, Satya. Do you think it will have an impact on the third party backup tool market or not?
  6. satya Moderator

[;)] sorry for confusion, I don't think it will have any impact to current leading vendors in this area.
  7. FrankKalis Moderator

Why do you think so?
  8. satya Moderator

Can't explain much now, probably we can have a discussion in nearer the RTM of SQL2008 [;)]
  9. FrankKalis Moderator

Hm, you make me curious.
  10. thomas New Member

I think these features will have a serious impact on the 3rd party providers of compressed backups. This is why they are trying to stuff their products with value-added features like table-level restores, log explorers, etc.
  11. FrankKalis Moderator

This is exactly what I think. I believe the market will consolidate. From our IT admins I know that they are always happy when they can reduce the number of third party tools they need to learn and know for their work. [:)]
  12. satya Moderator

True, but taking the history about Microsoft products the third party tool will do lot better. [;)]
  13. FrankKalis Moderator

Hm, from what I read, what they want to implement, I think they are targeting the third party market.
  14. Neil(NZ) New Member

Would be hard to justify if all one needs is backup compression, and why one would need a third-party tool when SQL has compression built in. I don't see how it can be justified in our environment, plus it makes DR easier as it will only need SQL 2008 on the DR machine.
  15. satya Moderator

True the backu compression need is different to each environment, where if you need to compress file with limited bandwidth then using third party tools have more advantage than native compression of windows (in my experience).
    In your case you might take native route, but it is going to have a change when SQL 2008 is RTMd with this feature, well time will tell the tale.